Lot 1177 - A204 Decorative Arts - Thursday, 30. March 2023, 10.00 AM
PIERROT FROM THE COMMEDIA DELL'ARTE
- Aristocratic private collection, Switzerland.
- In the present private collection by succession.
The most famous example of the figure on offer comes from the Pflueger Collection, New York, formerly Otto Blohm (Sotheby's London 4 July 1960, Lot No. 176b) and is presently in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. In C. Scherer, Die Fürstenberger Komödianten Simon Feilners, Der Cicerone, 1923, pp. 74 and 75, the footnote appendix makes reference to two other examples, one in the Helbing Munich Auction, September 1917 from the Gross Collection in Bremen, a third from the then art dealer W. Löhr with "not entirely flawless" paintwork.
References to the cited comparable models:
- S. Ducret, Fürstenberg, I, 1965, Panel 38 and III, p. 25, Ill. 26 (The Pflueger Collection, NY, formerly The Otto Blohm Collection).
- R. Schmidt, The Otto Blohm Collection, 1953, p. 153, Ill. 210 (some of the comedians in the Blohm Collection bear the incised mark FJi).
- Auction Hugo Helbing, Munich, 28 September 1917, No. 142 (with a similarly painted jacket).
CHF 6 000 / 8 000 | (€ 6 190 / 8 250)
Sold for CHF 7 500 (including buyer’s premium)
All information is subject to change.