Lot 3037 - A184 Old Master Paintings - Friday, 23. March 2018, 03.00 PM
- Probably the collection of General Dormer, Rousham, Oxfordshire, circa 1730.
- Probably via inheritance to the collection of Captain Cottrell-Dormer.
- Christie's, London, 29.6.1889, Lot 155.
- Martin Colnaghi, art dealer, London, acquired at the above auction.
- Probably collection of Mrs Joseph, London, 1912.
- Probably collection of Mrs E. J. Hanna, New York, 1919.
- Gallery A. J. Sulley & Co., London.
- Christie's, London, 1.6.1934, Lot 33.
- Scott & Fowles, art dealer, New York, circa 1945.
- Galerie Knoedler, New York, before 1946.
- Collection of Sir Harold Wernher, Luton Hoo, from 1946 documented until 1995.
- Sotheby's, London, 24.-25.5.1995, Lot 69.
- Galerie Salomon Lilian, Amsterdam.
- Swiss private collection, acquired at the above auction.
- Old Dutch and Flemish Masters, Kleycamp Gallery, The Hague, 1928-1929, No. 24.
- Exhibition of selected Dutch and Flemish 17th Century, E. J. van Wisselingh & Co, Amsterdam, No. 5.
- Loan Exhibition of the Collection of Sir Harold Wernher, G. C. V. O., Wildenstein, London, 1946, No. 27.
- Paintings from the Wernher Collection, Luton Hoo Bedfordshire, Guildhall Art Gallery, London, 1953, No. 19.
- Loan Exhibition of paintings from the Wernher Collection, Hove Museum, Brighton, 1953-1954, No. 18.
- Groot, Hofstede de: Beschreibendes und kritisches Verzeichnis der Werke der hervorragendsten holländischen Maler des XVII. Jahrhunderts, vol. 4, 1911., No. 84, p. 399.
- Broulhiet, Georges: Meindert Hobbema (1638-1709), Paris 1938, No. 465, p. 439, ill. p. 334.
- Trevelyan, Raleigh: Grand Dukes and Diamnods - the Wernhers of Luton Hoo, 1991, p. 407.
Dr. Christopher Wright, who examined the painting on the occasion of the London auction in 1995, and has assigned it for the Catalogue Raisonné which is being prepared, has confirmed the authorship and date as circa 1663. Furthermore, the painting is registered at the RKD, The Hague, as by the hand Meindert Hobbema under number 288139.
CHF 100 000 / 150 000
€ 87 720 / 131 580
Sold for CHF 162 500 (including buyer’s premium)
All information is subject to change.