Lot 1521 - A192 The Müller-Frei Collection - Tuesday, 16. June 2020, 02.00 PM
- Collection Hawkins, Sussex (verso with label).
- Auction Christie's, London, 08.07.1932, lot 127.
- Auction Sotheby's, London, 24.10.1956, lot 25.
- Private collection Gordon.
- Auction Christie's, London, 10.08.1976, lot 52.
- Art Dealers Robert Noortman Gallery, London, 1980.
- Auction Christie's, London, 13.04.1984, lot 127.
Günter Kowa: Grazia e Delicatezza, Ein deutscher Maler in Italien: Ignaz Sterns Leben und Werk 1679-1748, Bonn 1986, pp. 185-186, Fig. No. 32, p. 244 (signed and dated 1737).
Ignaz Stern studied with Carlo Cignani (1628-1719) in Bologna before settling in Rome around 1700. He specialized in religious painting and was inspired by Carlo Maratta (1625-1713) and indirectly by Correggio (1489-1534). His son, Ludovico Stern (1709-1777), was also active as a painter.
Dr. Georg Lechner has confirmed the authenticity of the painting on the basis of a photograph, for which we would like to thank him.
CHF 20 000 / 30 000 | (€ 20 620 / 30 930)
Sold for CHF 24 700 (including buyer’s premium)
All information is subject to change.