Lot 3421 - A201 PostWar & Contemporary - Thursday, 30. June 2022, 05.00 PM
This work is registered in the Archives Serge Poliakoff under the number: 963106. We thank Thaddée Poliakoff for his kind assistance.
- Galeria Lorenzelli Bergamo (with the label and stamp on the reverse).
- Private collection Switzerland.
- By descent to the present owner, since then private collection Switzerland.
- Poliakoff, Alexis: Serge Poliakoff. Catalogue Raisonné, vol. IV. 1963 – 1965, no. 65-20 (with colour ill.).
- Evangelisti, Silvia: Fondazione Umberto Severi, Pittura Contemporanea, Franco Cosimo Paninia, Modena, Volume III (with ill. p. 123).
- St. Gallen 1966, Serge Poliakoff. Kunstmuseum 11 June - 31 July, no. 109.
- Bergamo 1970, Serge Poliakoff. Galleria Lorenzelli 6 December - 10 January 1971, no. 29.
The Russian-born Frenchman Serge Poliakoff was one of the most important abstract painters of the post-war period and exponent of the Nouvelle École de Paris.
Composition abstraite bleu jaune et vert — or an abstract night landscape. Poliakoff's works allow great scope for the viewer's imagination. The green moss-coloured surfaces and the staggered dusky blue planes are arrayed organically over the picture surface. The different impasto layers of paint are applied in such a way that the viewer discovers more and more colours. Nuanced, yet distinct from one another.
The present work from 1965 illustrates the artist's typical approach: even if his composition may seem arbitrary at times, in this painting one recognises distinctive lines that can be found in many works: horizontal, vertical, or diagonal axes that split the canvas and draw the colour fields towards the centre. The not quite symmetrical and not quite geometric colour fields lend the work great dynamism. The almost independent yellow and black sustain the spontaneity of the composition, yet remain true to the central axis. The result is a completely autonomous overall picture that is guided only by the need to reproduce the plasticity and energy of the colours.
CHF 70 000 / 100 000 | (€ 72 160 / 103 090)
Sold for CHF 256 500 (including buyer’s premium)
All information is subject to change.